I have been meaning to share this salted caramel brownie recipe for so long! When I made these I overcooked them slightly so I definitely suggest sticking to the 30 minutes cooking time even if they still seem a little squidgy in the middle. None the less these were still delicious and very much satisfied my salted caramel needs!
For The Brownie Mixture:
200g unsalted butter
100g chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
100g chocolate, 50% cocoa solids
397g can Carnation caramel (I used this sauce instead)
1 tsp sea salt, plus a little extra for the top
200g golden caster sugar
100g plain flour, plus 2 tbsp
100g chocolate chips (optional)
50g cocoa powder
1 hour | 12-16 squares
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/ gas 4.
2. Line a brownie tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, break in all the chocolate, then remove from the heat and wait for the cubes to melt.
4. In a small bowl, mix 175g of the caramel with 1 tsp of sea salt.
5. Put the rest of the caramel in a large bowl with the sugar and eggs, and beat with an electric hand mixer or whisk until evenly combined.
6. Add the chocolate and butter mixture and whisk.
7. In a seperate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and a good pinch of table salt, then sift this on top of the chocolate mix. Beat briefly until smooth. For added chocolateyness add the majority of the chocolate chips to the mixture.
8. Pour half the brownie mixture into the tray and level it with a spatula.
9. Using a teaspoon, spoon half of the salted caramel on top of the batter layer in 5 thick, evenly spaced stripes.
10. Spoon the rest of the brownie mixture on top and smooth it out, trying not to disturb the caramel beneath.
11. Top with the rest of the salted caramel in a similar stripy pattern.
12. Scatter with a little more sea salt and the rest of the chocolate chips.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow the brownie to cool completely in the tray, then cut into squares.
This recipe was adapted from Salted Caramel Brownies
What have you been baking lately?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin